Let’s face it, the floor doesn’t tend to get as much attention as it should. Walk into a store and your eyes are on the products, not where you’re stepping. While it’s good to have attention on the product, not having a focus on where you step could lead to slipping, falling, and inevitable injuries.
A safe floor isn’t just for the customer, but everyone who steps on it. You can save yourself a lot of lawsuits and complaints by installing a safe, durable, and noticeable floor.
If you’re a homeowner, installing a safe floor means you and your family reduce your chances of a bad day or hospital bills.
Epoxy flooring is mainly used by commercial and industrial spaces as a coating added atop concrete. However, epoxy coatings are also used in residential structures for flooring and countertops.
Epoxy is a sealant with a high-gloss finish for identifying spills and abrasions in the floor. It protects the flooring underneath and provides a smooth surface with unique designs. With these elements, epoxy is a safe flooring option to use in any space.
Businesses and homeowners use epoxy flooring systems for high-traffic areas. For businesses, epoxy flooring is great for malls, grocery stores, factories, and warehouses. Homeowners find use for epoxy flooring systems for aesthetics and a safe flooring in their garages and basements.
The reason epoxy flooring is popular is because it is a quick installation that’s durable, manageable, eye-catching, and long-lasting. These are only some of the advantages of using epoxy flooring systems. Let’s go over the full list of benefits of installing epoxy flooring in your commercial, industrial, or home space.
15 Benefits of Epoxy Floorings and Coatings
- Affordable flooring solution that is much cheaper than installing a new floor.
- Durable solution that can withstand heavy traffic and impacts without easily cracking.
- Epoxy can withstand temperatures of below 0° Fahrenheit and over 140°, including protection against fire.
- Quick installation (usually ready for foot traffic within 24 hours after installation).
- Chemical-resistant flooring option that protects the coating and the flooring underneath from chemical breakdowns.
- Slip-resistant flooring for most spills.
- High-gloss finish used to improve visual awareness.
- Easy maintenance and cleaning with minimal time.
- Reduces wear and tear on vehicles and equipment with a smooth surface.
- Aesthetically pleasing with a variety of designs available including a marble-look.
- Material-additives are available including vinyl flakes that can increase traction and reduce slips and falls.
- Protection for the original flooring underneath the coating (usually concrete).
- Compatible with self-leveling systems for concrete application.
- Environmentally friendly, with many flooring systems using a minimal amount of materials that provide customers peace of mind for where the materials come from.
- Long-lasting flooring solution that can outlast the majority of flooring solutions without peeling, cracking, or chipping.
6 Disadvantages of Epoxy Flooring
- Not a DIY job for prepping or installation.
- Preparation takes time and expertise and must be done precisely or else the epoxy coating could ripple and peel quickly.
- Not slip-resistant for oil spills or other dense fluid spills.
- Coatings need time to dry when layering. In order to have a thick coating that can withstand high-traffic and heavy impact, there needs to be multiple layers of coating. Each layer takes time to dry.
- The smell is quite malodorous during the application and drying periods.
- Epoxy dust is toxic and a face-mask should be worn at all times until the dust has been cleaned up and removed.
Hire a Professional Epoxy Flooring Expert
If you’re looking to install a new epoxy flooring, there are a lot of steps to take in order to ensure proper application. Hiring an epoxy flooring expert will keep you sane and your original flooring safe. Many of the disadvantages above can be removed from the list if you hire someone with experience in epoxy resin flooring systems. We at Epoxy Colorado have years of experience in prepping floors and installing new epoxy floorings, leaving you with level, even, long-lasting flooring. Give us a call today to schedule your epoxy flooring installation for your commercial or industrial business or even for your home!